Gadsen Flag Tattoo

Since I’m currently in America, I thought I’d share Scott’s Liberty or Death tattoo, by Big James at Artistic Armor (love the name of the studio by the way) in Tampa, Florida. Scott writes,

The rattlesnake is taken from a Revolutionary War era "Gadsden Flag". It represents colonists standing up to England — "She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage. She never wounds 'till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy."

Anyway, I’ll try and post more when I get back on Tuesday, but officially I’m starting up again on Wednesday and will also start working on an entirely new format for ModBlog shortly to make it more searchable and so on.

One thought on “Gadsen Flag Tattoo

Posted on 05-22-2006 12:15:43 by volatile
    As a diehard pacifist (and Englishman ;) ) I can’t agree 100% with the sentiment expressed, but even a utopic hippie like me can see the logic and elegance in that.

Pity more people on Fark don’t engage with themselves or thier ideoloiges in this way…

Posted on 05-22-2006 14:49:04 by sinophile
    This is GREAT.

Posted on 05-22-2006 16:47:06 by jason
    i agree with volatile

Posted on 05-22-2006 17:11:33 by fre_k
    I thought the slogan was ‘Don’t tread on me’???

Posted on 05-22-2006 21:15:59 by outmywindow
    Just to stand out, I’m going to express my agreement with the wearer of this tattoo. Call me old fashioned, but sometimes, a fight is about all there is that can bring a situation to an end…

Also, the tattoo is just genuinely nice looking!

Posted on 05-23-2006 01:01:30 by caitlin

Ew, just found this.

Posted on 05-23-2006 01:10:42 by caitlin again

Wait, this is worse. Plus, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the eyebrow picture off the main BME piercing page, and thus copyrite?

Posted on 05-23-2006 01:14:11 by last time from me
    haha reported them. Sorry guys, I’m bored.

Posted on 05-23-2006 11:18:06 by Salinger
    This is actually a representation of the Culpeper Minutemen’s flag. It’s basically a Gadsden Flag, but with an added ‘Liberty or Death’ slogan.

Posted on 05-24-2006 16:11:01 by LisaBoBisa
    This is not on topic at all, but is the QOD coming back?

Posted on 05-24-2006 18:37:55 by fre_k
    I think the server is just down, it should be coming back.

Posted on 05-25-2006 16:17:12 by /
    i think shannon needs to get off his butt and fix the qod i miss it so much.
    ly shannon

Posted on 05-25-2006 16:20:57 by *
    I was going to ask about QOD as well.
    Why fix something that’s not broken when there’s something else that’s out-of-order?!

Eh, maybe he’s got somebody else trying to fix it now, for all I know.

Posted on 05-25-2006 19:57:34 by
    I find myself getting bored with BME lately because there’s no QOD that gets updated daily. IAM got boring for me quickly, and I’ve already looked at all the pics. Ho hum, perhaps I just have a short attention span.

Posted on 05-25-2006 21:39:30 by chuckles
    what’s a QOD?

Posted on 05-25-2006 23:40:17 by
    The question and answer part of BME. It’s been “offline” for weeks now.

Posted on 05-26-2006 01:21:38 by off topic
    I realize this is the wrong forum to post this about… this is about the “bad vs. good tribal” tattoos that was on modblog a few days ago. I find it very shitty of you, glider, to trash on the tattoo of somebody who is contributing to YOUR site. Without people to contribute, where would you be? But we’re all just “untrained eyes” and stupid so we all bow down to you as the ruler of our modified world. Hypocritical.

Posted on 05-26-2006 02:32:52 by curlyhare1
    leave him alone, the qod isnt making him any money, and thus isnt of the utmost importance

Posted on 05-26-2006 10:32:14 by s alot on at the moment (as always), leave him alone, it\’ll get fixed.

‘);

QOD – Shannon has alot on at the moment (as always), leave him alone, it’ll get fixed.

‘);

Posted on thing – Yes the second one was a poorer quility over all, and yes pics sent in make this website, but that doesn\’t mean alot of them feature badly done mods. Seen the pics of all the surface piercings on the site? Most of them will reject and cause scars thanks to bad jewllery and bad piercers. And thats all because someone didnt do their homework (same as the tribal guy).

‘);
    by fre_k

– Yes the second one was a poorer quility over all, and yes pics sent in make this website, but that doesn’t mean alot of them feature badly done mods. Seen the pics of all the surface piercings on the site? Most of them will reject and cause scars thanks to bad jewllery and bad piercers. And thats all because someone didnt do their homework (same as the tribal guy).

Posted on 05-27-2006 11:40:59 by /
    about the tribal thing: If that drumsticks tattoo a few posts up from this one was two very shaky, uneven lines with nubs at the ends and just frankly looked like shit is shannon supposed to say “oh wow look at this GREAT example of drumsticks” just because the picture was sent in and supports his website.
    BME is about education and by pointing out the lesser quality of some tattoos it shows you need to do your research and get the best quality tattoo for yourself ’cause as loreal says you’re worth it.

Posted on 05-27-2006 14:04:41 by glider
    Look, the fact is that I’m not going to apologize for pointing out when one tattoo is better than another, because there’s nothing wrong with doing that. In fact, I’d suggest it’s important that we not fall prey to the false notion that it doesn’t matter. In any case, I never “trashed” them if you go back and read the things I wrote, rather than just channeling whatever anger you have toward me into that entry and the debate surrounding it.

As to QOD, I’m sorry and I will get it back online as quickly as I can, but please try and remember that we run QOD (and ModBlog and most of BME) as a free service because we care about this community. If you are reading this and want to help and can help, contact me please, but please try and understand that all of this is being maintained by people who have “real lives” and careers we need to dedicate time to as well as our online projects.

So sometimes you have to wait. All I can suggest is that if having to wait makes you angry, that you channel that anger into helping in this community rather than just tossing insults around. The anger isn’t helping anyone.

Posted on 05-27-2006 16:16:25 by glider
    Oh, and don’t think of this as positive reinforcement for rude whining, but QOD is back online, and I’ll do the search feature today or tomorrow.

Posted on 05-27-2006 16:16:25 by glider

Posted on 05-27-2006 21:20:04 by think before i speak
    Thanks for getting the QOD back. I also apologize for my rude comments earlier. Yesterday was just a bad bad day. I understand you put a lot of hard work into this and I didn’t mean to add any anger to the site. My bad. I’m sorry.