The issues that cropped up yesterday have been resolved. It’s been recommended again and again that I don’t give people like this the attention they deserve but while CT and I spent the day working on resolving the issues. Thanks to Shannon for helping confirm our diagnosis of the issue as well.
This was a simple error in one of the codes that manages server side cookies. There was a hard coded date which happened to be yesterday. This has since been updated and resolved. We’ve got continuous back ups running of the data from IAM (which if this threat was legitimate, they’d know that BME isn’t attached to IAM so you can’t destroy BME). The import process to the new software will begin in the next few days and from then on, we’ll no longer be relying on the current software set.
We had awesome messages like this posted where people claim they’ve set up “doomsday” devices on IAM in order to blackmail me. Congratulations! You’re an asshole.