"I am not special" tattoo

This is actually done in mirror writing (I’ve flipped the photo), so this is what the wearer sees in the mirror every morning. Tattoo by Billy at Dreamtime Tattoos in Springfield, IL… Now, I hate saying this because it pains me to criticize anyone’s tattoo, but I believe this is unhealthy. I think that if you have a tattoo like this, it’s negative conditioning, and eventually you are convinced it’s true. But I’m going to object —

You are special!

One thought on “"I am not special" tattoo

Posted on 04-15-2006 08:31:40 by nefanda
    I don’t know what it’s supposed to mean to the wearer but before I read your comment I saw it more like a “I’m not a freak” statement. As if mods didn’t made you more special then anybody else ?

Posted on 04-15-2006 13:43:35 by T.D.
    “I am not a beautiful and unique snowflake…”

Posted on 04-15-2006 14:24:22 by katie
    because tyler durden is someone we need to be emulating.

Posted on 04-15-2006 17:26:38 by silver
    “I am made of the same organic slush as everyone else”…or something. I think it’s a thought-provoking book (or movie), but not a thought system a person can really live by.

Posted on 04-15-2006 18:21:32 by Kanga43
    Maybe it means more like, I’m not above everyone else? My circumstances are not sepcial, everyone else deals with this shit too.

Posted on 04-16-2006 06:38:43 by boa
    You would think that if you were going to tattoo a sentence acrïss your chest you’d at east use proper grammer and make ‘i’ into ‘I’.

Posted on 04-16-2006 12:53:50 by Jets
    I would think that it’s pretty obvious that he knows “I” is capitalized and did that on purpose.

Posted on 04-16-2006 15:15:28 by kuroneko711
    aww, i bet he is special.

Posted on 04-16-2006 16:56:55 by /
    its said when you read someone’s handwriting and they use a lower case i its a sign of low self esteem so i goes with the theme of the tattoo.
    i agree with shannon that seeing it day in and day out would cause someone to believe it. kinda sucks for this person thinking they aren’t special or maybe they are an identical twin and therefore are not genetically special. it could have tons of meanings but mostly i think its a self hatetred thing.

Posted on 04-17-2006 02:07:26 by Nyarlathotep
    Interesting. I would have taken it as a reminder to be humble, not an indication of poor self-esteem. Personally, I would rather be guilty of being overly humble about myself, my abilities and my achievements than be guilty of hubris.

Posted on 04-17-2006 07:20:12 by peejay
    I’d really like to know the guy’s reason for having this tattoo. I wonder if there’s actual meaning behind or just the whole “OMG FIGHT CLUB RUUUULZ”-type mentality.

Posted on 04-17-2006 08:33:26 by baited breath
    omg, Fight Club ruuuuuulz.

Posted on 04-17-2006 21:39:54 by ryann
    haha, baited breath.

i think i love you.

Posted on 04-19-2006 23:30:40 by etoile
    What’s the breath baited with? Nightcrawlers? Mmmmm!

I do like the font, though.