Phuket Vegetarian Festival Photos

IAM:arco had a chance to head up to Phuket Thailand last month for the vegetarian festival (which involves, among other things, devotees having extremely large temporary piercings done in their cheeks into which elements of their lives are inserted). He’s written a little more about it on his page, and there is a full and growing gallery on BME as well.

Here are an assortment of some of my favorite pictures from the ones he took:

This entry was posted in ModBlog and tagged , , , by Shannon Larratt. Bookmark the permalink.

4 thoughts on “Phuket Vegetarian Festival Photos

Posted on 11-08-2005 01:18:52 by m
    that last one is a real hum dinger

Posted on 11-08-2005 02:19:25 by joshua
    omg.

Posted on 11-08-2005 06:59:20 by jd
    tasty

Posted on 11-08-2005 10:45:29 by Fuzz
    You know I thought I’ve seen it all, until I saw a machete through the guys mouth….wow.

Posted on 11-08-2005 12:22:05 by melinda
    Wow. This is perhaps the first time ritual body mods have made me speechless.

Posted on 11-08-2005 13:14:58 by Soralan
    thats just crazy. crazy in a good way.

Posted on 11-08-2005 14:42:31 by sg
    And look they’re using gloves, who said this ritual is 100% primitave

Posted on 11-09-2005 14:26:17 by Lauren
    Whoa… I didn’t expect that last one to be honest, and I’ve seen a lot of these..

Posted on 11-09-2005 21:33:43 by paleblue
    I’ve seen these pictures before, and the only thing that really bothered me was that the guy who was creating the piercings appeared to be using a very very large solid needle, i.e. a taper with a sharp point, as opposed to a hollow bevelled needle. That made me squick a little. Does anyone know about how the piercings are created?

Posted on 11-09-2005 21:34:25 by paleblue
    I’ve seen pictures from this festival before, and the only thing that really bothered me was that the guy who was creating the piercings in the pictures I saw appeared to be using a very very large solid needle, i.e. a taper with a sharp point, as opposed to a hollow bevelled needle. That made me squick a little. Does anyone know about how the piercings are created?

Posted on 11-09-2005 21:35:13 by paleblue
    Argh, sorry for the double post. I needed to be more specific :)

Posted on 11-10-2005 05:29:38 by Anon

The piercer here looks western in origin? At least from the facial hair and skintone.

Posted on 11-10-2005 07:27:46 by Poppie
    Wow, these look amazing! Does anyone know if there are any complictions from having such a large hole made in your cheek? I remember reading on QOD that scalpeled cheek piercings weren’t an option because it would fuck up the muscle. Obviously these piercings are only temporary but couldn’t it still do some damage?

2. I am a vegetarian…and I have to say…I am now ashamed of being vegetarian after looking at those dickheads.

3. Man, these people are seriously disturbed! I feel sorry for these people because they think they are doing something very selfless, when, in fact, they are doing something very selfish and destructive to their bodies.

4. What I don’t understand is how you can call someone selfish for what they are doing to THEIR OWN BODIES.