J2, a BMX rider that was paralyzed after a spinal accident, has continued to represent the sport with tattoos since his injury. A catalog of his tattoos after swapping out his bike for an electric wheelchair, deeply intertwined with his life experiences:
- His first tattoo was, not surprisingly, a BMX rider.
- His second tattoo included two other sports he was involved in after his injury — snowboarding and skateboarding.
- His third piece, another passion — racing.
- His fourth tattoo was a spinal cord, representing his life changing injury.
- His fifth tattoo was a joker, which he got to represent himself, as jokers are there to entertain, and to do it with their own personal sense of style.
- His fifth and sixth tattoo sessions filled in some of the spaces between the tattoos with lighting — lightning was chesen because of his love of storms, and also because lighting and freak accidents can happen and strike anywhere.
- Next a sunrise/sunset was added behind the action sports tattoos, to symbolize both the ending of something, and also the hope for a new start.
- Finally, the smoke coming up from his vein and up his arm represents over fourteen years of using “nature’s most beloved healing plant”.
The tattoos were done by Miles Maniaci at Deluxe Tattoo in Chicago, IL.