ModBlog or MAKE magazine?

I’ve been debating the extent to which I want to post “how-to” information to the BME encyclopedia. For example, what is my liability if I explain to you in detail that with a little dry ice and a willing arm, you can guarantee yourself looking like my German friend here? How about if I explain how to do it with a minimum level of pain. I have such poor judgment, I’m seriously considering putting out a guide.

The truth is a virus! Information wants to be free!

This entry was posted in ModBlog and tagged , by Shannon Larratt. Bookmark the permalink.

6 thoughts on “ModBlog or MAKE magazine?

Posted on 04-20-2006 13:02:04 by LifeRush
    i say “do it!” But then again, i’m not the one who get’s all the nasty emails…

Posted on 04-20-2006 13:32:56 by *MissM*
    Propaganda is a virus too and is not neccesary Truth information.

Posted on 04-20-2006 14:16:22 by penski
    DO IT, DOUG!

*n

Posted on 04-20-2006 14:16:54 by Kanga43
    As interesting as it would be to know, could definitely see a lawsuit coming in your direction if you do :\ Sucky that our world is like that.

Maybe you could do it, but require an IAM login and a certain age to view the page? At least you wont have to worry about minors then.

Posted on 04-20-2006 14:20:19 by fre_k
    As long as you post a million or so [red]warnings[/red] you could probaly be safe from the law, but you’ll get even more hate mail.

Posted on 04-20-2006 14:56:13 by sae
    points for the pump up the volume allusion

Posted on 04-20-2006 15:50:17 by nickythegreek
    I say dont do it.

Posted on 04-20-2006 19:25:05 by jimmieknuckles
    im all for it, as long as the how to contains procedural pics

Posted on 04-20-2006 21:30:49 by rsonally I would love to see LOTS more \’how-tos\’ from amputations to common piercings.’);

I say fucking do it. Personally I would love to see LOTS more ‘how-tos’ from amputations to common piercings.’);

Posted on e is that out there, people are going to try and do crazy shit on them selves anyway. Why not assist those serious about it and try and reduce any serious (unintentional) injury to themselves.’);
    by oing to try and do crazy shit on them selves anyway. Why not assist those serious about it and try and reduce any serious (unintentional) injury to themselves.’);

Posted on self piercing when I was a little over 15, focusing mainly on my genitals. I still have many of my original holes and now I pierce in a studio for a living.’);
    by over 15, focusing mainly on my genitals. I still have many of my original holes and now I pierce in a studio for a living.’);

Posted on back I can see (seriously, fuck hate-mail – that\’s no reason to not do it) is that it may make it look like we are trying to get kids to do shit on them selves. Easy solution, a “this is intended for PROFESSIONALS only and not as a DIY guide”. Similar to what the APP has in \’The Point\’. It can now benefit those hell bent on doing it on them selves and serve as a great resource for people wanting to just learn.

‘);
    by jOELTRON

see (seriously, fuck hate-mail – that’s no reason to not do it) is that it may make it look like we are trying to get kids to do shit on them selves. Easy solution, a “this is intended for PROFESSIONALS only and not as a DIY guide”. Similar to what the APP has in ‘The Point’. It can now benefit those hell bent on doing it on them selves and serve as a great resource for people wanting to just learn.

Posted on 04-20-2006 23:59:55 by Me, Again
    Id rather read about why someone wanted to, instead of how-to do it

Posted on 04-21-2006 00:18:49 by outmywindow
    I hope he’s left-handed…

Posted on 04-21-2006 03:23:39 by Ghobian
    I would like to see a how to, not to actually try it or anything but because I’m curious as to how things are done. I’m probably less likely to try something if I know what works and what doesn’t. It’s like taking the sterio apart as a kid. I probably wouldn’t have if I had a how to guide explaining to me what to do and what not to do. I can already see how it works…

Posted on 04-21-2006 03:24:27 by Ghobian
    stereo* even

Posted on 04-21-2006 10:04:29 by nobody
    Sorry, but the stereo analogy is a bad example here – you mess up with that, just call a pro who`ll screw it back together for a price. This doesn`t work with severed limbs – you get stuck with this “ultimate body modification” for the rest of your life.

BTW, as fellow German I just hope this guy`s able to make a living on his own if this was done on purpose to satisfy some urge.

I would HATE to see my tax and compulsory national health insurance contributions be used to pay for the consequences of acts like this.

Please refrain from posting “how to” info. Maybe
    provide information on how to volunteer for mine sweeping work in say Cambodia or Angola instead where there are high chances to part with some body parts while doing something good at the same time :-)
    The kids getting mutilated involuntarily over there would appreciate this for sure.

Posted on 04-21-2006 16:17:55 by repeating
    1. You misunderstood the stereo thing. He wasn’t saying “I’d like to cut my arm open and dissect it.” They were saying they’d be interested in seeing how the process works. You know, like a documentary?

2. You realize that your insurance contribution also pays for care for complications from a botched fifth nose job, people injuring themselves swordfighting at renaissance festivals, and the people who don’t understand that “NOT FOR INTERNAL USE” means NOT FOR INTERNAL USE.

You get that, right?

3. It’s completely ignorant and closed-minded of you to imply that BME doesn’t do things to help people. BODY MODIFICATION IS JUST AS CAPABLE OF SAVIND A LIFE AS A MINESWEEPER.

Posted on 04-21-2006 16:19:38 by repeating
    flawless victory until i typed SAVIND

Posted on 04-21-2006 16:21:18 by penski
    Finish Him!

*poses*

*n

Posted on 04-22-2006 00:10:45 by dream3r
    …fatality…

god i love those games too much

Posted on 04-22-2006 03:39:34 by penski
    Me too…

Tangent: I once got a police caution for providing a Mortal Kombat-style commentary via a PA (not the piercing :p) while two of the fuzz took down a shoplifter.

Damn weird-ass police.

*n

Posted on 04-22-2006 18:16:35 by theNOTHING
    Penski, i WISH i had your job ;)

Posted on 04-22-2006 20:19:19 by rahko
    Just do it man. Since I love knowledge, I like reading guides from every area of life. And besides, if someone fucks up while acting on your guide, its their fault, not yours. I just hope that they dont blame you for their own mistakes.

Posted on 04-23-2006 20:29:15 by rabbit
    Anyone who is interested enough in the modification to have come along here and found and read the guide should welcome the information enough not to blame any fuck up on you

Posted on 04-24-2006 12:49:08 by .
    why the hell would you want to cut off your arm that’s crazy and i agree with “nobody”
    seriously i’d rather pay for a botched surgery than a retard cutting off his own arm on purpose

Posted on 05-25-2006 20:13:54 by fresh face
    I’m thinking that if someone has the mentality to remove anything then they’ll figure it out themselves.

Don’t influence the encouragable, victims, or just plain stupid

2. Hi Shannon,
    do it cause there are so many people out there trying to modify themself without any knowledge. Lots of mods wouldn`t go wrong if the people only know more about how to do it right. Most of the self-modifyers do it anyway, with or without knowing how to get it done properly.

With a good clarification of the facts and of course the dangers, some might think twice about doing extreme mods on their own.

If that is not legal, maybe it is, if the facts are put in a nice story.

Good anatomical pics would help a lot too. To know where exactly the blood supply and the nerves are running will make more extreme mods a lot easyer.

3. i can’t remeber what its called there name for the metal illness that makes people want to be amputees.and there crazy motherfuckers.

4. This makes me very sad as someone is mentally sick enough to want to remove a perfectly healthy limb.
    People who have to have limbs removed due to, lets say bone cancer or some other terrible illness, must go through days of mental anguish. I cannot even imagine how they must feel post Op when they wake and their limbs are gone.
    Im not going to say bad things about people like this. Mental illness is a terrible thing, I just feel so sad someone close to them didnt realise this was going through their minds and try to help them in some way.
    Throughout the ages parents have removed their childrens limbs in order that they can beg.
    *sigh* sometimes our world is crazy and sad.