BME Newsfeed for Oct 3, 2005

Please note that links may expire. IAM members, please help out by submitting stories!

BME Newsfeed for Oct 2, 2005

Please note that links may expire. IAM members, please help out by submitting stories!

Implant Removal Photos

The last cover article posted to BME, Non-Medical Silicone Implants For Dummies v1.0, discusses the pros and cons of silicone, including some of the issues in its removal when things go wrong. I thought I ought to emphasize how serious removal is with a few gory photos — the more difficult a modification is to reverse, the more seriously it should be debated prior to getting it done!

With as many as 10% of people estimated to eventually remove their implant (and that number may well rise in the future), be prepared to go through a removal that, as with tattoos, can be more of an ordeal than getting it in the first place. Live for today but plan for tomorrow, right?

BME Newsfeed for Oct 1, 2005

Please note that links may expire. IAM members, please help out by submitting stories!

Keep your laws OFF my body!

JudgeLauri Blake (R) of the US 336th District Court in Grayson County, Texas

Judge Lauri Blake

ruledthis week that the penalty for a teenaged drugoffender, on top of the requisite probation, is no sex as long as she(the offender, not the judge) is living in her parents’ home and goingto school.  (State law allows judges to assign conditions theybelieve are fair and appropriate.  Theage of sexual consent inTexas is 17 for both males and females, for heterosexual sexonly.)  While I’m sure it’s not in the judge’s plans, I’d considerthat incentive to quit school and move in with my boyfriend if I werestill a teenager.  (I’m not saying that that’s right; I’m speakingfrom the brain of a former teenager.)

What does this have to do with Modblog,you may ask?  This same Judge Blake also prohibits tattoos, bodypiercings, earrings and clothing “associated with the drug culture” forthose who are on probation and free on bond.  (In Texas, anartist may not tattoo a person younger than 18 years of age withoutmeeting the requirements of 25 Texas Administrative Code,§229.406(c), nor may an artist perform body piercing on a personyounger than 18 years of age ithout meeting the requirements of 25Texas Administrative Code, §229.406(d), without the consent of aparent, managing conservator, or guardian.)

Are tattoos a right, or a privilege?  If they are a privilege,whohas the right to decide?  Doesa judge have this right?  With body modification more prevalent intoday’s newsthan even last year’s news, appellate courts may indeed decide whetherit’s an assignment of conditions following the breaking of the law, oran imposition of their personal morals upon us.

BME Newsfeed for Sep 30, 2005

Please note that links may expire. IAM members, please help out by submitting stories!

BME Newsfeed for Sep 29, 2005

Please note that links may expire. IAM members, please help out by submitting stories!

BME Newsfeed for Sep 28, 2005

Please note that links may expire. IAM members, please help out by submitting stories!

Need your 15 minutes of fame?

I’ve gotten a number of media requests lately, so I’m posting them all here. If I hear back that they’re filled, I’ll update this entry, although I don’t always hear back so if more than a week or two has passed, there’s probably no point in writing these folks. Oh, and if you write them, tell them that Shannon from BME told you about it.

From: Sunny Foscue
Subject: Fear Factor

I am a Casting Director with NBC's "Fear Factor" and was wondering if youknew anyone for our upcoming "Freaks vs. Geeks" episode. The "Revenge of theTattooed Nerds" article was great, and I would love to get some of thosepeople on the show.

We are looking for guy/girl "Nerd" Teams to compete against "Freak Teams". Iwould love to talk to you more about the show if you are interested inhelping me out. ... Anyone that you have I would love to interview. Theycan just send me their info along with a picture to my email and we will getthem set up. We are looking for super freaks!

Thanks,

Sunny Foscue
[email protected]

Twwly mentions she’s looking for a few guys to hook up with her enticing friends for this show as well. Here’s another one. It’s definitely a fun little gig, I can’t give you more details publicly but if you’re in the NYC area, drop them a line. This is for filming tomorrow night.

From: [email protected]
Subject: TV Show looking for one pierced person

Major cable network TV show is looking for a heavily pierced person (maleor female) who appears 18 to 22 for a new show taping in midtown NYC.

Individual must be available for the show taping on the evening ofWednesday, September 28. If this is you, please email a photo and contactinfo to: [email protected]

Participants will be compensated

Here’s an interesting project for a suspension group or suscon organizer…

From: Jamie Friddle
Subject: Other Americans

I am researching eccentric communities and events in America for a pictorial essay titled Other Americans: underground . overground . off the grid. I am the team writer. We are in the middle of assembling a prototype for the book, as well as a proposal. You can read more about the project on our web site: www.otheramericans.com.

I am writing you because I'm interested in profiling one of the suspension/ritual cons. We think the body modification community is unique and, though not solely American, it is worth investigating for inclusion in our book. The final project will have 12-15 groups ranging from "way of life" subcultures to extreme sports.

Can you recommend a couple of suscons that occur annually? One of the subtexts of the book is that while old-school forms of community are slowly disintegrating, other forms of community, largely based on passions, are emerging.

Best,

Jamie Friddle, Writer
[email protected]
Other Americans
www.otheramericans.com

And one last one:

From: [email protected]
Subject: NYTimes writer looking for college students who got tat soon after getting to school and really freaked their parents out at Thanksgiving

Hey. I’m a NYTimes reporter writing a story on the conflict that tends to ensue between parents and “children” at freshman Thanksgiving break. For what it’s worth, I’ve got three tats and I used to have a naval piercing until my kid was born a few years ago. I remember all too vividly the shit that happened when I came home with my first tattoo — a black dahlia on my shoulder — at 18. I figure some current students have got to have some Thanksgiving horror stories.

[email protected].

Thanks

Good luck, and if you end up doing one of these projects, drop me a line!