Anesthetics for a surface piercing?

I know there are different standards and norms in different countries — this surface piercing is from Lima, Peru. You may notice that anesthetic is being injected in the first photo. What’s strange to me about this is that for almost all people, injecting the anesthetic is going to hurt far more than the actual piercing!

This entry was posted in ModBlog and tagged , by Shannon Larratt. Bookmark the permalink.

2 thoughts on “Anesthetics for a surface piercing?

Posted on 04-22-2006 06:44:13 by penski

Like many others, I can play pierce until the cows come home…But spack out majorly if I need an injection :/

Cute girl though.

Posted on 04-22-2006 09:00:52 by Schizophreza
    lol, i agree with everything you said penski, everything.

Posted on 04-22-2006 10:17:47 by jonathanpiercing
    uh uh…I don’t like it

Posted on 04-22-2006 12:30:44 by Claire
    Haha, yeah, my friends laugh at me, coz I’m the same; piercings I love, but tell me I’ve got to have an injection and I freak out.

Posted on 04-22-2006 14:38:06 by Micrurus
    Do you know the studio where that piercing was performed? I live in Lima.

Posted on 04-22-2006 14:56:19 by glider
    Micrurus, whenever I write something that’s a little critical but not really a big deal, I don’t out the studio.

Posted on 04-22-2006 14:56:45 by dream3r
    why would you stab someone with a needle so that they wont feel you stab them with a different needle? i’ll never understand anesthetic use for piercings…

Posted on 04-23-2006 03:35:15 by peejay
    heheh.. My old piercer was afraid of getting shots. I laughed about that for so long when he told me.

But yeah, in my experience, anasthetic usually hurts more than a piercing..if only because it takes longer to inject it.

Posted on 04-23-2006 03:58:07 by coconutjules
    That’s not the final jewelry in the third picture, is it??

Posted on 04-23-2006 10:22:25 by penski
    Looks like a cannula needle was used and that’s the sheath that is left.

PS: I just double-checked with Google so that I was posting the right thing and encyc.bme is the first result for cannula needle. Score.

Posted on 04-23-2006 15:02:05 by six
    wouldn’t the injectable distort the tissue somewhat?

Posted on 04-23-2006 18:51:14 by .
    hey, if it made her feel calmer about getting it done (regardless of which hurt more) is that really so terrible?

Posted on 04-23-2006 21:35:52 by Micrurus
    I just wanted to know because the artist seems familiar to me, I’m friends with a lot of artists from Lima, not that I wanted to say that what he was doing was wrong.

Posted on 04-23-2006 21:46:48 by glider
    Some clients still prefer it just for stress…. It’s not neccessarily “wrong”, it’s just not needed.

Posted on 04-23-2006 22:30:35 by RuinsOfDecay
    im not good with shots.. but i guess im fine with piercings.. i dont know.. my surface ‘cleavage’ piercings hurt a little.. but nothing that would need to be numbed..

Posted on 04-24-2006 18:43:54 by Nurse Gracer
    hmm. IMHO, using anesthetics is actually more dangerous, because most piercers do not have a license to inject it (eg laws in the USA) and, more importantly, you can be really allergic to anesthetic. Injected allergens are pretty damn bad/painful/complication-causing.

Posted on 04-25-2006 20:54:08 by AzerPhyre
    I remember the first time I got my lip pierced I used Oragel to freeze it. Also at the time I was 13, doing it myself, and being pretty stupid.

No more “freezing” for piercings..

2. Don’t you have to be a medical practicionner to legally apply an anaestethic? topical or via injection??